Monday, July 31, 2006

My New Restoration CD is out

Haven't had much of a chance to hang around here lately. I've been very busy moving into a new house, setting up a new workshop, and finishing my updated CD on Straight Razor Restoration.

The first CD had a generous 74 meg of information dealing with the basics of fixing up that ole razor of yours. This new one has closer to 300 meg. Part of which is a little over an hour of video instruction.

Even if you aren't in a position to restore your own razor now, this CD will not only let you know how the work is done, but will allow you to spot the work other people may have done to the razor you just bought.

It will also let you know what to be looking for in a razor so you don't wind up wasting money on lemons. Either way, it's a good read... I promise.

Go to my site to learn more about it...
http://www.billysblades.com/Straight%20Razor%20Book.htm

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had read more here before starting into a few projects, and later, I'm sure I'm going to wish I had bought this CD before starting into those other projects. You are keeping me tinkering, and getting me over that knowledge hump.

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I bought your razor restoration CD, and I've read the scale making guide. I also drop by Billysblades.com and admire your work, (I intend to buy something there as soon as I can afford it).
I would be very interested to read something about making my own razor blades, I own a couple of knife making books, but I'd still be interested to see any differences, (perhaps from working with harder steels).
Many thanks for all your information, keep up the good work!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

I use the same steel with razors that I do with knives. My first choice so far has been ATS-34 which is real close to CM-154. They are both ground in the annealed state and heat treated afterward. The trick with razors is that I only grind the cutting edge on the razors to about .040 and finish the work after the heat treat. Otherwise, grinding the blade to the required thickness of .008 or less would result in warpage from the heat treating process. I do not believe there are books that teach anyone how to make razors but if you can make a knife, you could make a razor with a bit of trial and error. Probably quite a few errors.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home